Anime: Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 (Attack on Titan 2)
| Episode: 36
Anime: Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 (Attack on Titan 2)
| Episode: 36
Anime: Watashi ga Motete Dousunda (Kiss Him, Not Me)
| Episode: 3
Yesterday I was nominated for the Creative Blogger Award, courtesy of Krystallina from the blog Daiyamanga. Thanks a lot Krystallina, I appreciate it! If you read manga, then definitely check out her blog.
1. The personal statement that I wrote to get into graduate school discussed the possibility of plant intelligence. While that may sound crazy to most of you, it’s actually an idea that’s been gathering support lately in the academic community (well at least in a tiny subsection of it haha, most people still think it’s insane). I’ll give you a brief explanation for how this is possible. At its most basic level, intelligence involves electrical and chemical signaling. This is true in humans and is how our brains operate. Electrical and chemical signaling also occurs in plants. Sure, some of the chemicals are different from those in humans, but the presence of signal pathways offers the possibility for some level of intelligence.
2. I watched the live action Attack on Titan movie a couple days ago. I didn’t have high hopes for it going in, but I still was not prepared for how bad it was. The story differs significantly from the anime, and in my opinion they made it much worse. Part of that is because they really changed Mikasa’s character, and she was my favorite character in the anime. I don’t want to spoil anything, so I’ll just say that she is much less awesome in the movie. They also got rid of Levi and replaced him with some other character. (I know, how could they? Who doesn’t love Levi?) The new character they used instead was obnoxious in my opinion and just made the movie worse. Anyway, see it if you want, but I certainly don’t recommend it.
3. I took piano lessons for 12 years, from first grade until I graduated high school. I don’t really play seriously anymore, but I do mess around on the piano from time to time. Speaking of pianos, there’s a funny moment in Love Lab where the father of one of the characters sings a song about lingerie while playing a piano. It’s fairly entertaining, so I included the clip below. The anime is pretty good. I would recommend it if you are looking for some laughs.
4. I have visited 7 countries besides the United States. Those include Spain, Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands. I really enjoyed traveling and would love to find a travel companion for the future. Now that I’ve started watching all this anime, maybe Japan should be the next destination.
5. I’m having a hard time deciding whether I like Hunter x Hunter (2011) or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood better. Both are terrific shows, and I gave them both a 9/10 on MAL. However, I had some issues with parts of the last few episodes of FMAB (I don’t want to say specifics because of spoilers), and Hunter x Hunter really slowed down during the chimera ant arc (though the ending to that arc is excellent). Both shows also have a fair bit of comedy to them, although I think Hunter x Hunter was the funnier of the two. (However, I saw Hunter x Hunter more recently, so my opinion could be skewed.) I didn’t take many screenshots while watching them, though, for various reasons, so I apologize that I won’t be able to share many funny moments on the blog unless I rewatch them. If anyone is looking for a good action/adventure anime, these are both great choices and I would highly recommend them.
I was recently informed that I was nominated for the Liebster Award again, courtesy of One St0p for all EnterTainmenT and Otaku Highschool Life. Thanks go out to both of you! It’s always nice to be recognized.
Here are the rules:
Answers to the questions by One St0p for all EnterTainmenT:
1. Cats or Dogs?
I like both. I have a cat named Kyra and a dog named Elsie, and my family also has chickens.
2. Most favorite anime opening or ending song.
That changes pretty frequently for me, but at the moment it is Only My Railgun by fripSide (the opening song for A Certain Scientific Railgun or Toaru Kagaku no Railgun).
3. Swords or Guns?
As a fantasy author, I’m more of a swords person. Below is the cover of my first novel showing the two things most necessary for every fantasy story: a sword and a dragon. What more do you need?
4. Most annoying and an interesting anime character (Name two anime characters where one is annoying and the other is interesting).
I answered most annoying in the last award post (see here), so I’ll just answer with an interesting anime character this time. One character I think is pretty interesting is Sasahara from Nichijou. He rides to school on a goat, has a personal butler, and gets shot with high-powered artillery on a regular basis without dying.
5. How were you introduced to anime?
The first anime show I watched was Pokémon because a friend said I should see it, but I dropped it after about 200 episodes because it was frustrating that Pikachu kept getting weaker. More recently, my friends and I were bored, so one of them put on the first episode of Attack on Titan. We weren’t sure what to think of it at first since it seemed rather odd, but my roommate and I were curious about it and ending up watching the rest and really enjoying it. Meanwhile the friend who put it on has yet to finish watching the show. After that I started to watch other anime shows, and here I am about 3 months later having watched 50 of them and counting haha.
6. An anime/manga character you resemble the most. (not physical features)
Hmm, I’ll have to go with Kurisu Makise from Steins;Gate, despite the fact that we’re different genders. She’s a scientist from America like me, and neither of us are particularly social, though we do get along fine with others most of the time. We also have similar interests.
7. Which genre do you prefer the most?
I usually prefer comedy or action. Recently I’ve mostly been watching comedy because there’s less tension and I don’t have to worry about people dying.
8. On a range of 1-10 rate on how much you socialize with people.
Assuming 10 is the highest, I guess I’ll say 2 for this summer, although it’s higher when I’m at school. I only hung out with friends a couple times this summer, partly because they are all working and partly because I just don’t feel like leaving the house. I do spend a lot of time with my brother though when I am at home because he also watches anime.
9. Have you ever cosplayed?
I have not. I would be really nervous to do that unless it was with a big group of friends because I would feel embarrassed. That said, I did help my brother pick out clothes and such to cosplay as Rintarou Okabe from Steins;Gate at a recent anime convention in the area.
10. Favorite voice actor
I’ll have to go with J. Michael Tatum. He voices many amazing characters in the dubs, including Rintarou Okabe in Steins;Gate, Scar in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Sebastian Michaelis in Black Butler, Kraft Lawrence in Spice and Wolf, and many others. I feel like every time I’m watching a dub, he shows up and always does an excellent job. Most recently I was watching A Certain Scientific Railgun S, and he ended up voicing one of the villains.
11. Anime you have watched more than twice.
When I first started watching anime, I tended to rewatch them a lot more than I do now because now I know that every time I finish one I can find another good one (hopefully). I watched Attack on Titan four times with three different people, and I watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood three times.
Answers to the questions by Otaku Highschool Life:
1. As a blogger does blogging really help you in some way?
It helps me to keep all the anime straight and to remember some of my favorite moments from shows I have seen.
2. What’s your reaction in receiving this award?
I am happy to receive the award because it shows that people are enjoying my blog and helps to share my blog with others.
3. Can you suggest me more bloggers that i haven’t discovered yet?
See the nominees below and the nominees from the last award (click here for the post).
4. While you enjoy the wonders of the internet what can you say about the reality?
The internet is very useful to me and others in academia. It allows us to access all manner of research articles much more easily than ordering them in print. With that said, since I’m currently on a summer break I have mostly been using the internet to watch anime.
5. Do you have a current job? What kind of job?
I will be starting as a graduate student in about a month. While that may not seem like a real job to most people, it is actually a paid position. Graduate students in the sciences who are pursuing a PhD are provided with a stipend during their time at the university. I’m also an independent author, but I hardly make any money at all from that.
6. What is your purpose of blogging?
The main purpose of my blog is to entertain. I also hope that if people see a post they like, they will decide to watch the anime that it is from. In this way, I’m trying to share my love of anime with others around the world.
7. Do you have any interest in Japan?
I am becoming more interested in Japan.
8. In question number seven, if no or yes, why?
I’ve been watching a lot of slice-of-life anime recently, so it has made me curious about how much those match up with reality in Japan.
9. Are you content with your life?
I am content for the most part, though there are some things I would change, most notably in the girlfriend department.
10. If you had an ability to change your life what would it be?
I’m not sure whether this is asking what change I would make to my life or what ability I would want to change my life. If it’s asking about a change, I really wish I had a girlfriend. If it’s asking about an ability, I’ve always thought it would be awesome to be able to fly.
11. Do you accept yourself as an otaku? Why?
I’ve heard conflicting definitions of what it means to be an otaku. Assuming it means to be someone who stays in their house and watches anime all day, then yeah, I’m an otaku. I accepted that I’m weird long ago (I mean who isn’t?) so I can accept this too. It doesn’t really make a difference as long as I’m enjoying myself.
Since it’s only been a couple days since the last time I received this award, it’s a little difficult to come up with at least 5 blogs that I didn’t choose last time for whatever reason. Unfortunately I could only find 4, some of which have already received this award quite recently. Since that is the case, anyone who would like to answer my questions can feel free.
Here are the nominees:
Thanks again for the award, and I hope you all enjoyed the post!